Winter Closure 2018 Academic Advising

From December 24th, 2018 through January 2nd, 2019, many offices at the University of Arizona are limited in their activities due to winter break. However, we realize that academic advising issues can arise during this period.
For students in majors within the College of Science, please see below.
Below are the most common questions that come up during the closure and relevant information.

  • Major-specific questions? Please follow your major department’s procedure for contacting your academic advisor during the break.
  • General (non-major specific) questions? Please email Include your name, ID number, and major when emailing.

Winter Session
Q: I am taking a winter course and I need to drop it.

  • Winter session dates and deadlines, including deadlines for paying tuition, getting a refund, and withdrawing from courses is here:
  • Contact the Summer/Winter Office at
    • LATE DROPS or SCHEDULE CHANGES after the posted deadline: If you need to make a schedule change (ie. withdrawal or other change after UAccess is no longer available for these requests):

1. Email Robin Rarick include your name, student ID, the nature of the change requested (including subject and course number) and reason for the requested change.
2. In addition, you MUST have your professor email Robin Rarick with his/her permission for the change you are requesting. If the professor does not approve the change requested, you must remain enrolled and take the grade earned.
3. Please avoid waiting until the last day of the course to request a change, as the process involves a few steps that take time for processing!
Q: Does my winter course count for my degree program?

  • Courses that apply to your degree program will appear in the proper requirement area in your Academic Advisement Report. Run your Advisement Report in UAccess Student Center and double check the section in which your winter course is included.
  • If the course is not being pulled into the requirement area that you expected, you must choose another course that is allowed for that requirement, unless your Academic Advisor has pre-approved an exception prior to the winter closure.

Financial Aid and Satisfactory Academic Progress
Q: I was told by Financial Aid that I need to file a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal Form.
NOTE: SAP must be done in person, and there will be plenty of time to do this in person once the campus resumes its normal activities.
1. You should start the SAP appeal form now, by reading through the information here ( You can start writing your personal statement and collecting appropriate documentation. This will facilitate the in-person meeting with your Academic Advisor after Jan 2nd.
2. Make an appointment with your academic advisor. Their contact info is in UAccess on the right side of the page.Click "Details".

  • If an online appointment scheduler is available for your academic advisor, please use it to schedule your appointment.
  • If an online appointment schedule is unavailable, please email your Academic Advisor to get in the queue for an appointment when s/he returns.

Academic probation or possible disqualification
Q: I didn’t do well last semester and am worried about academic probation or disqualification.
If you are on academic probation (GPA <2.0) for the first time after fall 2018 grades have posted, you will not be disqualified from the University. The College of Science will send you an email with instructions for attending the Making the Grade workshop for Academic Recovery. Watch UA email for this notification.  

  • If you wish to alter your spring class schedule in the meantime (to repeat a course, or reduce your work load, etc.), please go ahead and do this via UAccess.
  • Plan to discuss these modifications with your advisor when s/he returns, if you have any questions about your plans.
  • Please know, there will still be enough time before the spring term begins to make additional schedule changes if needed and to discuss them with your academic advisor.

If you were on academic probation going into the fall 2018 term, and are concerned about disqualification or university dismissal:

  • Email Robin Rarick and copy your academic advisor on the email. Briefly convey the nature of your challenges, and indicate your plans/ideas for getting back on track during the spring semester. Any communication from you will be taken into consideration before disqualification decisions are finalized during the first week of January.
  • If you would like to speak to your advisor about it in person, please schedule an appointment with them now through their online appointment if available. Otherwise, please email him/her to get in the queue for an appointment when s/he returns.
  • In all cases, students will hear from the College of Science Advising Office (via UA email) and/or your academic advisor shortly after the university resumes normal activities with further information about probation and academic recovery planning.

Full/closed classes
Q: A course I need for Spring is full.

  • If the course is full, the first step is to check if it has a wait list. This will be signaled by a yellow triangle for the section in UAccess. To add yourself to the wait list, click the green “select” button to add it to your shopping cart. On the confirmation page, check the box in the upper right-hand side labeled “Add to wait list if course is full.” Then, add the course to your shopping cart and try to register for it. You will be added to the wait list if space is available.
  • If the course does not have a wait list, add it to your shopping cart so you can check on it easily. Check on a regular basis in case seats open up. Over the break, students make many changes to their schedules and seats may free up during this time.
  • You may try contacting the department that offers the class to see about possible enrollment, in case their administrators are responding over the winter break.
  • In some cases, you might be able to attend the first day of class with a Change of Schedule form and ask the professor if there is room for you to join the class, but this is not always the case. Check with the offering department to see how enrollment requests are managed.
  • If the class you want can be replaced with another class that is open (ie. a different general education class) please add your second choice class, but watch for a chance to swap it.

Degree Candidacy and Degree check
Q: I need to apply to graduate in Spring or Summer.
Step 1: The deadline to apply for graduation (degree candidacy) is February 1.

  • You can complete the first step (filing for degree candidacy) now by selecting “Apply for Graduation” from the drop-down menu on the left-hand side of UAccess Student Center and filling out the online Degree Candidacy form that follows.
  • If you do not have a link to the degree candidacy form, please contact your Graduation Services Advisor below to let him know you need your link activated.

Step 2: In order to complete the second step (filling out the degree audit worksheet), you must meet with your academic advisor.

  • Schedule an appointment with your advsior now using the online appointment scheduler (if applicable), or email him or her for an appointment to conduct the Degree Audit when s/he returns. It’s a good idea to do this early in the spring term, in case you need to modify your spring schedule.

Q: I applied for Readmission for Spring 2019, and am waiting to hear back from the College of Science for my next steps.

  • If you applied for readmission in poor academic standing you must fill out the College of Science Application for Readmission, and meet with an Academic Advisor to determine eligibility for admission. Please email to initiate the internal application.
  • You are required to meet with the Academic Advisor for your intended major to discuss your program of study. If you are outside of Tucson, you can schedule a phone appointment. Find contact information for your College of Science Major Advisor: Please do not go to walk-in hours for readmission appointments.  Readmission appointments may take over 30 minutes and will not be handled during walk-in hours.

Mobile Menu