Policies and Procedures


UA Online Students: 

The College of Science recognizes that UA Online students may not be in a position to visit the campus for help with the policies and procedures below, nor are they required to do so. If you need assistance with any of the topics listed on this page, please contact your UA Online Student Academic Specialist, Melanie Lipton, first. She will be able to help you with the most efficient process and coordinate with the College on your behalf in order to help you resolve the situation.

Change of Major:

Current UA students wishing to change their major to one within the College of Science must contact the Academic Advisor for their intended program. See the list of advisors by major. 

Grade Appeal (Gould-Simpson 1025):

Information on the University of Arizona's grade appeal policy can be found in the General Catalog. It is strongly suggested that students make an attempt to resolve the matter within the department offering the course.

  • Students choosing to proceed with a grade appeal for courses offered within the College of Science must follow the College of Science Grade Appeal Protocol. Contact Brittany Johnson for this document.
  • Click To Download The Grade Appeal Checklist to assist you in tracking your progress throughout the appeal process.
  • It is important to begin the grade appeal process BEFORE the 5th week of the semester following the semester in which the appealing grade was earned. 
  • Contact Brittany Johnson in the College of Science if you have any questions about the Grade Appeal process.

General Petition (Gould-Simpson 1017):

Undergraduate students majoring in the College of Science may petition the University General Petitions Committee for relief if they believe they deserve redress or exception to university rules, regulations, or policies regarding academic affairs. Click here for more information on the general petition process. 

  • Students filing a general petition for extenuating circumstances (non-medical and non-discrimination cases only) can obtain the forms in the College of Science Office of Undergraduate Affairs (Gould-Simpson Bldg., room 1017) or email science@email.arizona.edu
  • Any student who violates the Student Code of Conduct when preparing their petition packet for submission may lose the opportunity to resubmit their packet to the College for consideration.
  • Students have one year to file their petition.
  • Petitions are collected until the last official day of classes (not finals) for the term. After this deadline, students may still submit petitions, however they must wait until the next semester for it to undergo review. There is no exception to the one year deadline.

Change of Schedule (drop/add classes):

Use a change of schedule form to drop or add classes when UAccess is no longer is available for those changes. 

  • Refer to the registration dates and deadlines that determine when schedule changes are allowed. Note that 5-week courses, 7-week courses, dynamically-dated courses or those with non-standard start and end dates have different deadlines for adding and dropping.  
  • For regular term courses, withdrawals filed before the first deadline (at the end of the 2nd week of classes) will result in the course being deleted from the student's permanent record and no "W" grade will be assessed.
  • For course withdrawals filed between the first and second withdrawal deadlines (between the 2nd and 10th week of classes) the grade of "W" is awarded.
  • After the second withdrawal deadline (between the 10th and 13th week of classes), students must have an extraordinary reason for not being able to complete the course, and it must be approved by the student's college dean via Late Change Petition. Students requesting to drop one or more classes (but not to drop to 0 units) after the 10th week MUST file a late change petition.

Late Change Petitions: (drop/add classes between weeks 10-13 of the term or when UAccess becomes unavailable for registration changes) are available in the College of Science Office of Undergraduate Affairs (Gould-Simpson Bldg., room 1017). The petition process involves a few steps which should be started as soon as possible.

  1. Obtain forms: Students declared in the College of Science must obtain petition forms from Gould-Simpson room 1017 (or from their academic advisor) after the 10th week of classes. Other students must see their own college Dean to obtain the forms.
  2. Submit by the deadline: Late change petition forms will be collected in Gould-Simpson 1017 only during the posted deadlines as per the Registrar's website. After this deadline, students are required to stay enrolled in their classes unless they are intending to withdraw completely (from all classes). See #4 below.

    • Students who have circumstances that arise after the petition deadline but before the last day of the semester and do not have an option for an "Incomplete" in their course may still make a request to withdraw, however they must discuss this in person with Robin Rarick rrarick@email.arizona.edu. Students must make an appointment, and bring documentation of an extraordinary situation that is preventing further participation in the class. Please know that these exceptions are extremely rare.
  3. Necessary documentation: The petition requires instructor signature on the form AND on a Change of Schedule form. Students must also provide proof of extraordinary circumstances beyond the student's control that are preventing participation and completion of the course(s). Being in danger of failing or receiving a poor grade is not considered extraordinary circumstances.

    • Students requesting to drop a class(es) due to medical reasons must obtain a recommendation to reduce course load from the Campus Health Office to include in their petition packet.
  4. Complete Withdrawal: Students expecting to drop all classes for the term (withdraw to zero units) may do so by following the online process for complete withdrawal.

Exceeding 19 units in a term (Gould-Simpson 1017):

Student in the College of Science are limited to 19 units per fall and spring semester. If this limit must be exceed, students must get the approval of the College of Science.

  • First, check with your major advisor to see if s/he has the ability to approve this request AND update UAccess to allow you to enroll for more units.
  • If not, come to the College of Science Advising Office in Gould-Simpson 1017 to make the request. 
  • See the full enrollment policy in the general catalog

Leave of Absence policies; Gould-Simpson 1017:

The Leave of Absence policy helps students return to their studies after a one or two semester absence.

  • Back2UA -  Undergraduate students who leave the University in good standing (GPA at least 2.0) do not need to reapply for admission or pay readmission fees if returning after one or two semesters of leave, and they may register for classes during their priority registration period.
  • International students should refer to the policy on International leave of absence.
  • College of Science students who require a military leave of absence should see the complete policy regarding military leave of absence.
  • For assistance with the LOA, please contact the College of Science Advising Office in Gould-Simpson 1017. 621-8128 science@email.arizona.edu

Academic Probation and Dismissal (Gould-Simpson 1017): 

The College of Science realizes that there are a variety of reasons for poor academic performance and we are motivated to help students recover from academic challenges. We strongly suggest that students faced with the danger of failing one or more classes arrange to see their academic advisor as soon as possible to discuss options such as campus resources  for academic or personal issues, swapping classes (depending on the timing of the semester), or even dropping one or more classes. There are many ways that advisors can help, but it is ultimately the responsibility of the student to initiate contact with advisors when needed, and explore options to minimize the chances of going on academic probation. See how probation and dismissal are handled within the College of Science.

Mobile Menu